Pliny the Elder classifies Trevi as the city of the Umbri. The Latin name Trevia might derive from the Umbrian root treb-, an element of the words indicating ‘a house, a building or to build’ in the old tongue.
Its existence before the Roman rule is also proven by the “stele di Bovara” (Umbrian epigraph). Prehistoric civilisations settled in its land, as attested by Palaeolithic finds.
It acquired great importance when, during the Imperial age, the old route of the Via Flaminia was restored and an actual civitas developed on the plain in the village of Pietrarossa. It was a bishop’s see up until the 11th century.
With the rule of the Lombards, which established the powerful duchy of Spoleto, Trevi was assigned to a gastald. In the early 18th century, it was declared a free city and, through an alliance with Perugia against Spoleto, it fought against neighbouring cities.
It was granted a free government only in 1389. It was ruled by various Captains, namely the disastrous vicariate of the Trinci family from Foligno up to 1438, when – brought back to the direct control of the Church under the legation of Perugia – it followed the fate of the Papal States up to the unification of Italy.
It is now a wonderful hamlet renowned for its production of extra virgin olive oil.