Church of Sant’Andrea
The church of Saint Andrew was built in the first half of the 11th century and was under the control of the Camaldolese abbey of San Silvestro in Collepino.
In 1253, it was granted to the Franciscan Friars Minor, who took care of the restoration of the church and the construction of the convent next to it, also thanks to the indulgences granted by the popes.
In the 13th century, Andrea Caccioli, the scion of an aristocratic family of Spello and a direct disciple of St. Francis, became the guardian of the convent,
ensuring its growth. In 1360 he was proclaimed joint patron saint of the city. The interior has a Latin cross plan with a single nave covered by groin vaulting.
In 1913 it underwent radical repainting and restoration in a Gothic style by Benvenuto Crispoldi and Giovanni Tucci. Above the main altar there still is a valuable 14th-century Franciscan cross.
Chapel of the Baptistery
On the left, the Chapel of the Baptistery (1497-1499), called First Baglioni Chapel, to distinguish it from the other one in Santa Maria Maggiore, commissioned by Grifonetto, a member of one of the branches of the Baglioni family.
The chapel houses an imposing wooden altarpiece containing the panel commissioned to Pinturicchio by Gentile Baglioni in 1506. The work depicts Madonna and Child, St. Lawrence, St. Francis, St. Ludwig, St. Andrew the Apostle and St. John.
Along the walls of the nave are Madonna and Child, St. Anne, St. Roch, St. Nicholas, fresco by Tommaso Corbo, 1532. St. Joachim meeting St. Anne, fresco by Dono Doni, 1565.