Located along a slope at 470 metres above sea level, the medieval Poreta Castle stands over the entire plain between Spoleto and Trevi.
It is estimated that the first settlement was built in the Early Middle Ages, when the population left the plain, as it was no longer safe due to the forays of Hungarians and Saracens.
The oldest documentation of the existence of dwellings in the area dates back to 1196.
There are records of a hamlet already forming a territorial unit, that is a villa, only in 1279, when a document reported it had 30 hearths.
In 1378 it had a boundary wall with sturdy towers leaning against it.
The largest building expansion took place in the 14th and 15th century, to the point that the parish church devoted to St. Christopher was extended in 1463. In all likelihood, the influence of Poreta castle extended both on the side of the Spoleto valley up to San Giacomo, and on the side above the Spina road, including Silvignano.
A first devastating earthquake in 1703 caused serious damage to the castle. Part of the population moved down in the valley, especially in Piè di Poreta. The parish church and its name were moved as well. The old church of the castle was restored in 1792 and was given the name Church of Santa Maria della Misericordia.
In the 1950s the village became deserted.
The 1979 earthquake caused serious damage to the castle and the church. In 1990, the remaining properties still belonging to the Church were acquired and refurbished by the Association of Mountain Municipalities, and are now used as accommodation.