According to tradition, its name comes from the old term Pissinianum, that is, pool of Janus, a building that stood near the current Temple of Clitunno. Legend has it that this is where the wedding between Janus and Camesena, a Clitunno nymph and Muse of Song, was celebrated, leading to the origin of the Italic people.
The hilly hamlet developed around the 11th century due to the establishment of a small Benedictine community. Due to its presence, the mountain above is called Monte San Benedetto (or Colle Revalioso).
In 1155 Frederick Barbarossa settled with his troops near the castle after the destruction of the city of Spoleto. Trevi and Spoleto fought over this place, and it was plundered and destroyed several times. The renowned bandit Petrino Leoncilli settled here in 1580 and for quite a while spread terror throughout the Spoleto area. During World War II, the castle was used as a Fascist concentration camp.
It was restored by Prof. Antonio Meneghetti as the seat of the International Ontopsychology Association and is now a beautiful hamlet, with its triangular perimeter walls. At the top of the hill is the summit tower, which is the highest, with a pentagonal tower below, later turned into the bell tower of the church of San Benedetto.
The houses are terraced because of the sloping terrain and the hamlet still retains its medieval appearance.
The village also includes the Church of San Benedetto, which is not open to the public.