Arco del Seminario or Portella di Panzo
This was the medieval name given to the gate that had been opened in the walls of the Roman city. From here, before the construction of the Basilica of St. Francis, one would exit the town and be in the open countryside, heading along the road to Perugia.
NUNNERY OF SANT’ANGELO DI PANZO
Before the arch, on the left there is a striking wall with red and white stone streaks.
These are the remains of the nunnery of Sant’Angelo di Panzo, founded in 1270 by the Benedictine community from the Panzo monastery on Mount Subasio, where St. Clare sought refuge the first time.
On the wall is a niche with a fresco of the apparition of Our Lady to St. Francis. Dating back to 1628, by Girolamo Marinelli.